Friday, May 23, 2014

In Defense of Boredom

I know that when I was a kid a little boredom now and then was good for me.  It got me outside looking for things to do.  It got the cogs of creativity churning in my head.  And when you put those two things together you can create entire worlds and find fun things that never even existed!  In the words of Mark Twain, “You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”  An occasional dose of boredom and a nudge out the door from my mom helped me focus my imagination, and oh the adventures I had!

Richard Louv recently wrote an article entitle In Defence of Boredom, which provides some good pointers for parents who want to help their children turn boredom into a playground for creativity and nature discovery.  Read the article HERE.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment